Official Connacht GAA Website

Official Website of Connacht GAA

Aughnasheelin V St John’s Connacht Intermediate Football Quarter Final

October 19th, 2017

Aughnasheelin V St John’s Connacht Intermediate Football Quarter Final

Connacht Intermediate Club Football Quarter Final

Aughnasheelin (Leitrim) V St John’s (Sligo)

Connacht GAA Centre

2.30pm Saturday 21st October

Aughnasheelin have the remarkable record of advancing to this Connacht Intermediate Quarter Final without a championship defeat in 2017. They topped their group with four wins and a draw, which came in a 1-11 apiece affair with Ballinaglera back in August. A 0-13 to 1-9 scoreline saw them overcome Mohill in the quarter finals and they had an impressive 1-16 to 0-10 win over Carrigallen in the semis before the 0-12 to 0-10 thriller over Leitrim Gaels in the decider. This was the second Intermediate title in the history of their club, the last coming in 2008.

Aughnasheelin led from pillar to post  in the final and can attribute a huge part of their great victory to the electric start to the game they had, with three rapid points from Brendan Mulvey, Fintan Fitzpatrick and Conor Cullen declaring their intent early on. It was midfield where Aughnasheelin laid the platform for their win, attacking an area where Leitrim Gaels would have been perceived to hold the advantage before throw-in, with Man of the Match Conor Cullen and captain Barry McWeeney in particular having storming games. However, despite this dominance the game was in the melting pot right up to the final whistle as Leitrim Gaels threw everything they had at them, but the Aughnasheelin back line led by full back Paddy McManus held firm to secure a famous victory after a cracking contest.


Scorers: Conor Cullen (50), Fintan Fitzpatrick (3f) & Gavin Sammon 0-3 each; Barry M bcWeeney (f), Niall Mulvanerty & Brendan Mulvey 0-1 each

Team: Martin McHugh, Paul Earley, Paddy McManus, Wayne Gilgunn, Philip Dolan, Sean McWeeney, Christy McNulty, Barry McWeeney, Conor Cullen, Niall Mulvanerty, Fintan Fitzpatrick, Keith Sammon, Fergal Earley, Brendan Mulvey, Gavin Sammon. Subs: Cormac Sammon for McNulty (37), Ben McGirl for F. Earley (46), Gavin McWeeney for Mulvey (62)


Scorers:  Aidan Flynn 0-5; Eunan Treacy 0-3, 2f; Liam Moreton & Colm Moreton (f) 0-1 each

Team:  Brendan Flynn, Paddy Flynn, James Flynn, Paul Guckian, Brian McElgunn, David Bruen, Mick McWeeney, Liam Moreton, Colm Moreton, Aidan Flynn, Eunan Treacy, Aaron McLoughlin, Shaun Chandler, Conor Guckian, Enda Moreton. Subs: Ryan Goldrick for P. Flynn (5), Paddy Flynn for P. Guckian (35), Brian Treacy for McWeeney (53), Michael McManus for E. Moreton (60)

St Johns also have had a blemish free championship season, although they took two games to get over St Farnan’s in the final after drawing 1-9 each the first day out. They emerged top of their group after getting the better of Enniscrone/Kilglass and St Patrick’s and had good wins over Castleconnor and Shamrock Gaels in the quarter and semi-finals. In the replayed final they eventually overcame St Farnan’s 1-14 to 0-12 to bring the Intermediate title back to the club for the first time since 2000. In the final they produced a stirring second half onslaught to secure the Kennedys Intermediate Sligo Championship over a staunch St Farnan’s outft who fought valiantly over the 120 minutes in both the drawn game and the replay. Indeed at half time St Farnan’s led by five points and looked to be cruising to victory, until Tommy Kelly’s goal at the start of the second half sparked St John’s into life, and they never looked back from there. Best for St John’s were the outstanding Paul McNamara, county stalwart Charlie Harrison, substitute James Murphy aswell as forwards Brian McGowan and the sharp shooting Alan Keane. On the losing side Paddy O’Connor and Stephen Mulligan had mighty games. Dara McGarty’s side now look forward to the challenge of the Connacht Championship and a game with Aughnasheelin of Leitrim, and of course senior football next season.

ST JOHN’S: N O’Donnell, A Clerkin, C Harrison, E Roche, R Fahy, P McNamara (0-2), D Smith, O Cox (0-1), D Rooney (0-4, 3f), T Kelly (1-1), B McGowan (0-1), C Greene, A Keane (0-4, 3f), F Grennan, S Stenson.

Subs: J Murphy (0-1) for Smith (23), N Walsh for Greene (44), K Sweeney for Grennan (49), N Hayes for Roche (57), C Jordan for Stenson (60).

ST FARNAN’S: S Healy, J Quinn, P Culkin, J Weir, E Kilgannon, M Lang (0-1), C Hallinan, P O’Connor (0-3), M Mulligan (0-2), F Cawley, C O’Connor (0-1, 1f), J Hynes (0-2), S Mulligan (0-2), M Devaney (0-1), S Neary.

Subs: D Hynes for Hallinan (49), K Lang for Devaney (52),

REFEREE: TJ Keaveney.


The winners of Sunday’s clash will advance to the Connacht Semi Finals to play a home game against the Galway champions on the 5th of November. In Galway, Williamstown await the winners of the second Semi-Final between Claregalway and Kilkerrin-Clonberne. The other Connacht Semi-Final will feature the Roscommon champions Michael Glavey’s (who defeated Fuerty in the Roscommon Final 0-12 to 0-10) and the winners of Kiltimagh and Moy Davitts who meet today also in the Mayo final. This Semi Final will also be played on the 5th of November in MacHale Park. The Connacht Intermediate Final will then take place on the 19th of November, with the venue yet to be decided.